Back To Top

Description

Description
Fort at Nacogdoches depicts the site of both early businesses and a building used for governmental purposes as early as the 1790s. Once Texas became a Republic, the structure was used as a courthouse by 1837 and other enterprises for over 60 years. It was removed in 1902 for a modern commercial structure but the materials were retained and reused for the replica fort constructed for the Texas Centennial celebration in 1936. This painting is visible in historical photographs of the Capitol library as early as c. 1908-1909 and hangs there today.
Artist: Unknown
Date: c. 1880
Medium: Oil on Canvas
Mi9 Retail