Back To Top

Description

Description
Caldwell County, established in 1848, was named for Texas Declaration of Independence signer and Texas Revolution ranger captain Mathew Caldwell. This 1861 map was created by Land Office draftsman William von Rosenberg. Lockhart, the county seat, features prominently with a small sketch of the town and a north-south line running through it. Around the edges of the map, markers in relation to Lockhart allow for bearing measurements to be taken from the county seat.

In addition to original land grant information, other important historical details are included. The San Antonio Road, a key transportation route dating back to the earliest settlement of Texas, follows the Hays County border then crosses the northern part of Caldwell County on its way to Nacogdoches and points beyond. Land grants shaded in blue and yellow represent titles from Austin and DeWitt’s colonies. These highlighted surveys represent the oldest grants in Caldwell County, many of which date back as early as 1831.

Draftsman Carl Wilhelm von Rosenberg compiled this map of Caldwell County in 1861. Caldwell County, established in 1848, was named after Mathew Caldwell, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and ranger captain during the Texas Revolution. The map’s border contains the neat line, a system that features the degrees of variation based on the location of the county seat. Land grants shaded in blue and yellow represent original Mexican titles from Austin and DeWitt’s colonies, respectively. These highlighted surveys represent the oldest grants in Caldwell County, many of which date back to 1831.
Mi9 Retail